3.04.2008

I could live in a house by the beach

For those who haven't known Tim and I long, you should know that we are a couple who likes to fulfill enormous milestones all at once.

some examples from our life...
We graduated from college on May 19, 2000. Our wedding (it was a glorious, fabulous day) was June 10.
We then proceeded to move 3000 miles from everyone who knew and loved us (and most of them still love us), from wonderful California to muggy North Carolina to begin a new adventure. Durham has been good to us, to our marriage, and we will always have good memories of this place. I had a great job at Duke, did a master's degree at Carolina, and worked as a high school science teacher here. We have met friends who will be friends for life. Tim enjoyed being a Duke student (more for the math or basketball? tough to say.).

Then, we celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary in 2005. We found out we were expecting our first child shortly thereafter, decided that we weren't going to leave Durham in the near future, so we bought a house! We moved in on December 1st or 2nd (tough to say...there were key issues. It was great fun.). And we love our house. Benjamin was born (ten days early) on February 20, 2006, after 36 hours of labor + pitocin + the best epidural ever. And we LOVE our son.
Tim worked so hard to finish and defend his dissertation in August of that year, meaning that I could begin my new career as a stay-at-home mom (which I love more than I knew I would), and he began a post-doc in the department of computational immunology.

That brings us to now.
It is March of 2008. Tim applied for jobs in the fall, and has been interviewing and praying that the right job would come along. And it has. We will be moving to Malibu, California (nope, not next door to Britney, but maybe I can take pictures of the the salon where she shaved her head for you) so Tim can begin his career as assistant professor of mathematics at Pepperdine University. We couldn't be more thrilled to leave the humidity and several hour drive to the beach for a short walk to the Pacific Ocean. (And you're all invited to visit us!) But what other big things could be going on? Well, after a generally rough year with lots of transitions going on, we're expecting our second child! Benjamin's little brother or sister is due on September 12th. And we couldn't be more thrilled. Oh, and we're celebrating eight years of marriage on June 10th (and already looking forward to the Alaska cruise we're planning for our tenth anniversary!). So if you're bored and want to pack a box or touch up some paint on the walls, we sure could use the help...
January 8, 2008:

February 6, 2008:

February 21, 2008:
(this t-shirt was made by carolyn. check out her creations here.)

xoxo.

4 comments:

anderwood said...

I love hearing all your news recapped. :) I am giddy for you guys - I've been walking around all week (here in Wisconsin where we've gotten 85 inches of snow this winter) thinking that Malibu would be a great place to live! At least we can visit! Congratulations Lucases!!

Patty said...

Congratulations on everything!!! Keep me updated once the new little Lucas is born so that I can officially publish it!

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Welcome back!! Wow, that is a lot of good news. We will have to plan a Disneyland trip sometime.

Anonymous said...

ohmigosh!!! Congratulations on everything! I'm so excited for you guys! Thrilled that you'll be back in California and that Benjamin will be a big brother! (doing a happy dance)