1.10.2010

a decade, remembered

I've been thinking back over this past decade (like everyone else). These past ten years were so full, I can barely get my head around them

In 2000, we graduated from college, got married three weeks later, and two months after that moved across the country to start our new life together.us, june 10, 2000.

I worked at Duke for a year, a small private school teaching middle and high school science, and then Duke again. This made me a very definite Duke basketball fan, even though I couldn't have pointed to Durham on a map before moving there. I got a new camera (film!), and took pictures all the time.

Then I went to UNC for graduate school for a year, earning my MAT in secondary science in 2004. I proceeded to teach high school for two years - biology and AP environmental science. In the summer of 2005, we found out we were expecting our first baby and we bought our first home. Benjamin was born in February of 2006, Tim finished his Ph.D. that summer, and I started my new career of stay-at-home-mom. I got another new camera, digital this time, and fell in love. And another career was born as well, since friends kept asking me to photograph their families/weddings/kids/etc. Now I proudly call myself a photographer and love it! (But I love most that it still allows me to stay at home with my sweet boys all day!)

In 2007 Tim decided to start looking for a permanent, tenure-track job after working as a post doc for two years. In 2008 we found out we were expecting our second baby, Tim was hired at a great school, and we moved back to California. Noah was born in September. We started looking for a house and bought a wonderful townhome in July of 2009.We have celebrated weddings, births, deaths, and have been so blessed in great and hard times over these ten years. We have gone on some fantastic trips to Seattle, the Caribbean, Florida, Washington, D.C., New York, and South Carolina, and we're planning our tenth anniversary Alaska cruise for this summer! We are so excited to see the next ten years. Happy new year!!

No comments: